Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Muted Watercolor with Kelly

Hello Crafters!

Spring has finally arrived here in my neck of the woods and I couldn't be more thrilled! I have a bunch of family birthdays coming up, Easter is just around the corner and then it's Mother's day.

I don't know about you but even though I make bunches of cards it seems I rarely have the ones I need when the time comes to give it and so that means sometimes I end up with *gasp* store bought cards! I knew my Mom would love the florals in Kind Soul, so this year I got started early! For once it my life. No really, this is probably the only time I'll be early this year. I should celebrate.

You may have noticed that this isn't my typical color scheme. I have really been trying to push myself out of my usual bright colors/copic coloring. Not that I don't love it, I do. But I also think it's good to push yourself to try new things. Why?

Because sometimes you end up with cards that look like this. I hope you enjoy watching the watercoloring in the video below.


Watch above or watch in HD at YouTube

It really was a struggle not to use Copics. I was scared to mess it up and you know I loathe starting over. I love how even though I used the same colors the top and the bottom still look different. That's the magic of watercolor and it's almost always beautiful!

What's your go to medium? Have you tried breaking out of the box lately? Since Spring has arrived, maybe try moving forward this season with your own new approach :)

Thanks for visiting! You can find a complete list of the supplies used on today's cards on my blog.

Featured Supplies

For your convenience, here is a list of the featured Wplus9 supplies used on today's project(s), along with links to purchase. For a complete list of all supplies, click here.

28 comments:

  1. Yes the colors are different from your usual style and it looks pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally amazing! Looks fabulous, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just watched the video and feel so inspired! Thanks, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW- Kelly! This is truly stunning and yet watching your process and you talk us through makes it so "doable". Definitely taking mine out to play with some more this wk! What a special way to use your talents to thank you sweet Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this card! So soft and so beautiful. Watercoloring is such a challenge for me as I am such a perfectionist. It is sooo hard to paint in layers or sections or wait for it to dry before moving on. But I have to say after watching this video I'm going to try again with your style shown here. Thanks for sharing and being upfront on the learning curve!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This card is perfect! Love the softness and the colors in it! And thanks for sharing a video process, loved it! )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spent my lunch hour watching this video a 2nd time! Love it! Just beautiful! You really have a way of talking us thru it to make us feel like we could do it too! Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is breathtakingly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH, how I love this card. Not sure what makes it so outstanding but your coloring is just delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how you have coloured this gorgeous stamp Kelly! So very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This card is just gorgeous. I love that you just work your way thru your process and voila! a beautiful watercolored card! That's my go-to right now, but I'm a rookie. It's still fun to see the end result!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO in LOVE with your card..
    oh my those colors..stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. No matter what colour medium you use, it always turns out beautifully, Kelly! Prismacolors are my "go to" when colouring stamped images, but I'd love to try the Zig Clean Color markers (does Santa deliver on Mother's Day too??? LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so beautiful, just stunning!
    I don't really have a "go to medium". I am obsessed with water colours, Zigs and Copics this past year and I have NOT mastered any of them but I keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how you tell us that "you don't know what you're doing" and then create this masterpiece. I have watched so many watercolor videos because I'm a chicken about even starting but you have given me courage! I'm definitely going to be working outside of my comfort zone but will give it a try. Thanks for showing and explaining how you got the image you wanted while telling us that "to just keep working it." Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll bet your mom knows what a talented daughter she has. I like your soft watercolors a lot and hope you continue to do them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an absolutely beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh this is so pretty - I just love it - and I love your videos too!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely gorgeous!!!! Love the muted colors!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kelly , Gosh you kill me !! I was also wondering how many people shouted out Shabby shutters like I did!!! You make my life crafting so fun!!! Thank you .. Oh beautiful card for you Mother!!!
    How lucky is she ....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous Kelly! I'm sure your mom will love it (and hopefully she isn't watching!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful! I am not receiving your blog posts anymore (I have no idea why not) and am seriously missing your fabulous cards!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So gorgeous!!! Thank you for the video!!

    ReplyDelete

Connect with us:

Follow Us on Pinterest